Many people who are trying to lose weight get overwhelmed because they assume they have to lose a substantial amount of weight in order to reap the benefits.
While your weight loss goal depends greatly on your current weight, a recent study published in Cell Metabolism found that you can start benefiting from weight loss when you lose as little as five percent of your body weight. The study showed that patients:
- Reduced the amount of dangerous fat around the abdomen. Having a large amount of belly fat can increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, colorectal cancer, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure.
- Lowered heart rates
- Lowered triglyceride levels
- Lowered blood pressure
- Improved how their bodies used insulin, which decreases the chance of getting diabetes and improves blood-sugar levels.
Tips on Getting to a Healthy Weight
If you’re aiming to lose weight, setting a goal of five percent is a good start. Here are a few tips to get to a health weight:
- Tweak your lifestyle. If you’re looking to lose weight, you need to make long-term changes to keep the weight off and stay healthy.
- Focus on health eating. Eat a well-balanced diet that includes whole grains, vegetables, and lean protein. Consult a specialist to get a meal plan or healthy eating tips.
- Exercise regularly. The American Heart Association suggests at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week, especially if you have a desk job that requires you to sit for a majority of the day. Not only can regular exercise help you lose weight, it can also improve heart health.
Weight Management in Flower Mound, Texas
Weight loss isn’t easy. If you suffer from obesity that can’t be managed with exercise and diet, it may be time to consider a weight loss surgery.